Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Art Studio Remodel Inspiration




So... I got some really good news from one of my licensing partners last week and it looks like within the next month or so I will finally have the funds/opportunity to remodel my future Art Studio!!!  Heck yeah...  I have pretty much waited my whole life for this moment and busted my tail to get to this point so I'm very excited...  A real-life-grown-up Art Studio...  Don't get me wrong, I had a room in our last house that was definitely a great beginning.  I was thankful to at least have some kind of work area and actually had dreams of fixing it up right before we decided to move.  My main problem was space though, as my projects definitely tended to outgrow the tiny room and overtake other parts of the house for days/weeks at a time...  So, to have a building completely separate from my home where I can detach from everyday stuff and strictly focus on art stuff, as well as have the room to spread out and work on multiple projects at the same time is a dream come true. But... it's definitely going to take some work and time to get there...

Here is the building as it sits now, and below are my ideas for expanding/remodeling...


Pinterest has once again been my go-to for inspiration and I've been a pinning maniac on my Studio board.  So far I've come up with the following materials/colors/textures/accents that I'd like to incorporate into the remodel:

Floor:  Vinacork (cork on bottom, vinyl on top) is what I'm going with for the flooring.  The picture on the Mood Board above "Industrial Metallic" is what it looks like.  Cork is a great insulator and vinyl cleans up nice, so put the two together with an industrial type design/finish and I'm sold!  Actually, I was sold a few months ago when we first bought the house, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger since they were discontinuing this style and put it on Closeout.  Not to mention Hubs and I can also install this ourselves since it's a floating floor and save some cash-ola!

Rusty/Reclaimed Tin:  One of my favorite textures/materials of all time.  I am definitely envisioning rusty tin overhang/awning type things over the door(s).  The question is if I also want to put the tin over the shingled roof to really rust-it-up, or just put the tin on the small awning(s).  And then there is the possibility of a rusted tin wall instead of a rusty tin roof...  How freaking cool would a wall of that be in a studio?  Plus it would be magnetic so it would be functional!  The other plan I had was to just use magnetic chalkboard paint on a wall for a simpler/cleaner working wall but I dunno...  There are a lot of magnetic chalkboard walls out there which I totally love, but the tin would be something different and unexpected.  But will it be too much going on with the industrial floor?  It would only be an accent wall so maybe not...  Hmmm...  Gotta think about this one...  Oh, but I did find a guy in North Carolina that salvages old buildings and barns for a living and said Brian and I can drive up there to get some of his tin!  Road Trip!!!

Lighting:  Chandelier all the way...  I really like the contrast of rusty/industrial looks mixed with sparkly/girly things so I'm keeping an eye out for a bargain stunner piece...

Windows:  The place definitely needs more natural light.  I like the mismatched-window-hodge-podgy look but I don't want it to look too Cray Cray so it will be a fine balance I'm sure...  we have a great place here in Athens called Southern Surplus that has an awesome array of building supplies so I know I'll be visiting them a lot within the next few weeks to sort it out...

Work Spaces:  Hubs and I built a long computer desk thingy a while back out of some file cabinets his work was throwing away and some plywood, so more than likely I'll keep that.  Maybe paint the file cabinets a funky color though?  For my work table I'm going to use the super-awesome one we salvaged from my Dad's barn that I'm going to clean up and add some storage bins underneath.  I'll use this table to spread out projects, paint, work on jewelry, etc. so that will be good...  The last work space I'm thinking about would be a nook...  A little space where I could sit with my sketch book and brainstorm new ideas...  I have to see if I have the room for it, but I'm thinking it would go nicely along the back wall with shelves on either side for my art supplies and samples of my products.  We'll see...

Accents:  I'm thinking vintage accessories as well as accents in my go-to colors (magenta, turquoise, green, etc.) will help pull everything together for that Eclectic/Boho feel that I love :)

Ok, you still with me?  That was a long post!  Would love to hear any input/ideas/resources/etc you guys may have!  I'll keep you posted when all of this officially starts as I'm sure I'll be tracking the process on my Instagram and Facebook.

Talk to you soon,
Genevieve

2 comments:

Karla said...

Congrats Genevieve! That is really exciting! Can't wait to see what you do with all that space.

Jamie Evelyn said...

Love your plans!!!