Monday, April 23, 2012

New Paintings and Happy Accidents

Marabelle Paintings Marabelle Paintings
Introducing 2 new canvases I licensed to Oopsy Daisy!  I really love these...  Even though they are intended for Children's art, they could totally be used in a grown-up space.  In fact, they will soon be hanging in my hallway :)

These pieces were a little different for me, as my inspiration didn't start with having a specific image in mind, but rather started with the blank canvases themselves.  I was walking down the aisle at Hobby Lobby and saw these large square canvases and just had to grab them.  I usually paint on a smaller scale so they're easier for me to put directly on my scanner and get ready for product design/reproduction, but in this case I said "what the heck, I'll paint how I want to, and figure out the details later..."  Sometimes you have to strike while the inspiration is hot, right?!

So I had a great time painting, and then had to figure out what I was going to do with the large finished pieces.  I did some research and found a local print shop that does "image capturing"- basically a fancy word for taking a nice high-res picture and putting it on a disc for me.  I then took the files and color corrected them in Photoshop to match my original paintings.  I had the option for the print shop to do the color correcting but it saved money to do it myself (not to mention I'm so picky about color I felt more comfortable doing it anyway).

The whole process worked like a charm and has opened up a completely new world for me and my art!  This was probably something a lot of artists out there already do, and I feel kinda like "duh!" for just now having this a-ha moment, but for me it took stepping outside of my box a little bit to figure it out and apply it to my work.  I'm so glad that I did and now have tons of large-scale painting ideas swirling around in my head!  Don't you just love "happy accidents"?!

Have a great week,
Genevieve

3 comments:

Bess Carter said...

ooooooooh....I need to know this print shop in town that does the high res pictures! Is it Athens Blue Print? Also, I am very jealous of your trip to Hangout Fest :)

Genevieve Gail said...

Yep, Athens Blue Print! They are the only ones I know of in town that offer it, but the turnaround time was quick and pricing seemed decent...

Diane Kappa said...

I love these! The colors are so warm and happy!