Monday, February 20, 2012

Washi Tape Project #1: Pretty Keyboard

Washi Tape Keyboard
Washi Tape Keyboard

So my washi tape came in (so pretty!) and it's time to start checking projects off my list... I wanted to start with the keyboard first since I haven't been able to get it off my mind since I first saw this.  However, overall I'd give the project a 3 out of 5 stars and here's why...

PROS: My keyboard is waaaaay cuter now.  I absolutely love the way it looks.

CONS:  This project took FOREVER!  I'm sure there might be an easier way to do this, but to cut out each individual square, round the edges, etc. took at least a couple hours.  I should have timed it, but if I had to guess I'd say it was at least 2-2.5 episodes of the Housewives.

Once I finally got the tape the way I liked it I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to read the letters on my keys.  Not that I have to look down and see all the letters when I type, but I wanted to be able to see more of what was underneath the tape.  I assume this would be remedied if you chose lighter tapes, or tapes with less design on them, but I tend to go for saturated colors so this was a problem.  Add in another Housewives episode to go back over the tape with a Sharpie and draw the letters/numbers on the keys.

Last but not least I'm not sure how the tape is going to hold up.  I spend A TON of time on the computer and some of the corners are already starting to peel up a little bit.  I'm thinking it will probably last a couple of months before I need to take all of the tape back off but we'll see...

So am I glad I did it? Totally.  Would I do it again?  Probably not.  Now on to the next project, I'll keep you posted...

XO,
Genevieve

1 comment:

Jenean said...

This is so adorable! I'm so glad you mentioned that about seeing the keys, though. I will admire from a distance, but probably won't do this to my keyboard. Thanks for saving me!