Thursday, February 24, 2011

SURTEX 2011: It's Official!

Surtex Booth 2011

Wowza.  Just signed the contract for one of the biggest shows in the licensing world called Surtex.  It's something I've been thinking about doing for a while, and now the timing is finally right.

For those of you who haven't heard of it before, Surtex is basically a show where manufacturers come from all over the world to buy and license art for their products.  I will have a booth setup with my portfolio/product mockups and hope to make some great connections while I'm there.  I have a couple of licensees under my belt from straight up cold calling/emailing, so it will be nice to sit in my little 8x10 space and be able to show my designs face to face.  I think it's easier to build relationships with clients that way, and I am hoping that this show will really help me step it up to the next level.

I might have mentioned this before but I actually used to go to Surtex back in the day when I was an Art Director looking for new artists to work with.  This will be kind of crazy being on the other side of the table, but it's cool though, I think that this is the side I'm meant to be on ;).  So now I just have to buckle down and crank out some new collections before May 15th.  Um, and considering it's March next week (whaaaat?!) then that means I'm really going to have to kick it into overdrive.  Oh, and did I mention the show is in one of my favorite cities in the whole world? NYC, Baby!!!  "New Yooooork, concrete jungle where dreams are made of...."  K, well wish me luck, the craziness starts now...

XO,
Genevieve

11 comments:

Mary said...

Gen, I know you will blow them away!

Genevieve Gail said...

Thanks so much, Mary! I really appreciate that ♥

Libby Embry said...

yaaaaaaayyyy!!!!! good luck!! you will be great!!

Genevieve Gail said...

Thanks, L! XO

Barttart said...

Whoohoo congrats!! Your going to do awesome!

Genevieve Gail said...

Thank you!!! :)

Stefanie Scarborough said...

This is soooo exciting. I can't believe I'm just now reading this. I HATE MY LIFE RIGHT NOW! Baaa! I'm right there with ya on the craziness tip. Me and you can get together and sing "Don't. Push. Us. Cuz. We're. Close. To. Tha. Eeeeeedge..."
Love ya girl! You are going to make those clients make the WOW face! So proud of you.

Genevieve Gail said...

"We're tryin' not to lose our heads, a-hah hah hah hah"

Ha! Thanks so much, Stef!!! C u Saturday... :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, G, that's freakin' awesome news. If you hve not found a place to stay yet, check out airbnb.com and find Hotel Toshi. This cat Toshi has bought a bunch of apts all over the city and rents them out. We got a 2bedroom in williamsburg for about 100-150 a night. It was an older building (very authentic neighborhood - wow) but the apt was updated, modern and comfortable. He has all price ranges, uptown, downtown westside - lots to choose from. You can check my NYC gallery on facebook for some pics of the area and the building if you are interested.

You'll do great, G, be sure and let us know how it comes out for you. DJ and I have talked about doing surtex for some time; I think now we'll start at the licensing show in ATL. Easier and cheaper for beginners.

- cindy

Genevieve Gail said...

Thanks so much, Cindy! I'll check that out!

Stefanie Scarborough said...

p.s. Looks like you got a great spot, too...right by the FOOD! That's prime real estate in my book ;)