Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Dream Bed Complete!

Over the weekend Hubs and I constructed this headboard...
Custom Headboard

You may remember this original post showing the inspiration images I had collected over the past few months that prompted this project (see post for original image links/credit)...
Custom Headboard Inspiration

So Hubs and I went to Lowe's and picked out 6' pine planks in various widths.  I arranged them on the back porch and he screwed in cross beams for support...
Custom Headboard

Then using a piece of posterboard I cut the shape, traced it on the top of one side, then flipped over the template for a mirror image on the other side.  Hubs cut out the shape with a jigsaw...
Custom Headboard

Then came the staining... I selected a few different colors of stain and brushed on mixtures of each on the individual planks.  After I was finished I sanded down the edges and added a hint of distressing here and there...
Custom Headboard

Voila!  So happy to finally have a headboard!  It was a relatively simple project and cost just a little over $100 for all of the materials (compared to $1,000-$2,000+ for a store bought king size headboard).  I it...
Custom Headboard

10 comments:

Stefanie Scarborough said...

Oh my goodness! Look at YOU! I can't believe y'all cranked it out like that! It looks even better than the pictures! I'm totally impressed. And Brian looks so handy with that saw - Mark needs to spend more time with him...maybe some of that could wear off on him ;) BRAVO!!

The Dreaming Bear said...

Wow! That's gorgeous! How creative!!!!

libby said...

LOVE IT!!!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Wow- this came out fantastic!! You did a great job on it! Would love for you to come by and share this at Feathered Nest Friday sometime! Stopping by from SNS today~ nice to meet you! :)

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi Again~ Just stopping back over to say thanks for sharing this at FNF~ I can't seem to find a 'follow' button on your blog (google friend connect) do you have one and it's just not loading for me?

Genevieve Gail said...

Hi Courtney! I don't have a Follow button, but I do have an "Add this blog to your reader" on the right hand side towards the top of the page. If you go under "Add this blog to your reader" then click on the "Posts" section it will give you the option to "Add to Google"... Hope that helps!

Genevieve :)

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Fabulous! Love how you used different toned stains as well. So cool.

I read what you wrote to Courtney. I totally suggest to load the official Follower's widget. My own follower button is VERY active.

Donna

Ali @ Honey and Maple Syrup said...

Way cool!!!

Autum said...

It is just beautiful! I love the contrast you got by using different stains.

Simply Bungalow said...

It's absolutely gorgeous! I love it!
~Heidi