Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Crazy Quilting

Crazy Quilting

Crazy Quilting

Crazy Quilting

The other week I took a Quilting class at my local shop, Dragonfly.  I was a little intimidated since I had only made one quilt before, a rag quilt, but I thought it would be fun to branch out and try something a little out of my comfort zone.  Not to mention with the scrappy style of quilting we would be working on it would hide mistakes a lot better than a traditional style of quilt!  I decided to use a mixture of fabrics from both Flower Bucket and Gypsy Garden to get a good mixture of pattern scale and colors.  My teachers Mary Colley and Fay Rawls were so great and showed us how to cut, flip, and sew our squares together to make the scrappy blocks.  I started out a little ambitious thinking I was going to start a King size, but a few hours later I determined this would make a great throw blanket or the top of a dog bed ;).  Like I've said before, I totally respect quilters for their patience and the preciseness of their work, it amazes me what goes into making a quilt...

Once I figure out how I'm going to finish off my blocks I will share pictures of the finished piece so stay tuned!

XO,
Genevieve

4 comments:

Kaye Prince said...

Oh, your quilt is looking very funky and fun - great job!

mjb said...

Very fun! It's a big huge step to be able to go up to a king size.

Meredith said...

I found your site via Heather's shout out post for all of the fantastic work you've done for us at the Shelter! I also dabble a bit in quilting/sewing/crafting -- are you familiar with Whipstitch in Atlanta? It's fantastic for fabric. My first quilt was going to be a twin -- and ended up as a baby quilt. :)

Genevieve Gail said...

Thanks for stopping by, Meredith. Haven't been to Whipstitch yet but hope to visit there soon!