Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Before & After Pretty Porch Art

Before and After Glass Window

Before and After Glass Window

This weekend was beautiful here in Georgia.  Brian and I took advantage of the nice weather and started working on the gardens in the front yard.  While we were sprucing up the house I decided to tackle a project I have had in my head for years- making a piece of stained glass art for the front porch.  I took an old window frame, busted out the clear glass panels, and replaced them with colored stained glass scraps that I had leftover from a class I took years ago.  It turned out just the way I had envisioned it- pretty and colorful with a touch of hippy flair!  I was thinking about doing a tutorial on exactly how I made this piece, but glass is very dangerous to work with so I don't want to be responsible for someone cutting themselves or poking an eye out.  Glass is super sharp, and when you are cutting the pieces to fit the panels teeny tiny shards go everywhere.  So, if you attempt to do something similar please be careful and no matter what WEAR SAFTEY GOGGLES!  I'm sure there are plenty of stained glass tutorials on the web so just be sure to do your research and take all of the necessary precautions that they recommend...

Now off to grab a glass of lemonade, turn on the radio, and sit on my new favorite front porch spot...

Genevieve

12 comments:

Genevieve Gail said...

Thank you so much for your comment, Ms. Jennifer Paganelli! That means a lot, you are an inspiration!!! Blogger is acting SO weird, it keeps erasing my comments that people post- don't know how to fix it!

Megan said...

Oh it's so gorgeous! I think Spring weather has finally arrived today. but it might not last! LOL.....

The Dreaming Bear said...

Oh my goodness gracious! I love it, love it, love it!!! So beautiful in the sunshine! Thanks for sharing!!!

Grace said...

It's stunning! :D

wildflower said...

I love this! I plan to make one for myself. Thanks for the wonderful idea and inspiring me
;-)

Genevieve Gail said...

Thanks, y'all!

miss corner cape said...

looks amazing. great job-wish i had some colored glass laying around! you make it sound so easy!

gail@myrepurposedlife.net said...

I love everything about old windows, so of course I love what you did with this one!
Lucky you to have all that beautiful glass on hand!
gail

Jessica said...

I really like this. That colored glass is so pretty.

jana said...

Did you use silicone to attach the panels?

Genevieve Gail said...

Yes, Jana, after I glued the glass to the wood I put silicone on the back (especially in the corners) to help hold the panels in place. Hope that helps!

jana said...

thanks for the info... i,too, have lots of glass left over from other projects... this is a perfect use for it... off to the flea market tomorrow to look for old windows!