Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Painted Wood Art Studio Floor

So I decided my studio needed a little facelift- needed to get a new outlook on things so what better way then an instant paint makeover!  Well, I shouldn't say "instant" because this project took FOREVER!  Next time I'm using a stencil...  For some reason my non-logical artsy side of my brain thought it would be faster to free hand a pattern so I wouldn't have to measure and line everything up perfectly.  Can't complain though, I'm really happy with how it turned out!  It all started with a little inspiration: this beautiful necklace from Anthropologie, the prettiest floor I've ever seen by marzipan inc ("how to" instructions by Marzi here), and my all-time favorite Target shoes...

I started with the wall paint.  I chose Martha Stewart's "Diploma" white for the majority of the space and added the Lowe's Valspar brand "Gentle Wave" for the accent walls.  Next came the floor.  I went with a couple coats of porch paint in Martha Stewart's "Coriander," then I painted the flowers in the "Diploma."  Topped it off with a dry brush of "Coriander" to give it that pretty distressed finish that I love.  I figured this would also help hide scuff marks or imperfections as things get moved across the floor or for when it starts to get dingy.  Pretty and practical!

Hand Painted Studio Floor
Hand Painted Studio Floor

So there you have it- a little "sneak peek" into my Art Studio.  I'm still working on a few things so hopefully I will have more pictures to show of the rest of the room soon...

Hand Painted Studio Floorl

9 comments:

Laura Zarrin said...

Oh so pretty!! I want a floor like that. Love all the colors.

Scott at the Blue Nickel said...

wonderfully Cheerful!! Love it!!

Mary said...

Gen, that is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen!

Anonymous said...

OMG, Gen. That is quite an undertaking! Of course it's perfect, but man! You must have been HURTIN' after that project! Your 'hubs' better have had a big 'ole back rub waiting for you! ;) It looks beautiful. Can't wait to see it in PERSON!(love, stef)

JenniferJangles said...

Love the floor!...your floor makes my floor look like nothing.
Hope you're well...
Jennifer
Jangles

lil songbird mama said...

hand painted? you go girl!!
it's really beautiful!

Room to Inspire said...

This space must make you smile! It looks fabulous, love the colors.

Chelsea

Gast Family Recipes said...

So pretty and cheerful, nice job!

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

Don't you love the way paint can transform a room? Love the painted floor!